Check out our Calendar for upcoming programs like our Museum Open House, Meet the North American Porcupine, ‘Tis the Season for Crafts, and One-Day Fun Day!
ATTENTION: The White Woods Rd. bridge is now open!
We are currently seeking:
Summer Camp Co-Leader at The White Memorial Conservation Center in Litchfield, CT The White Memorial Conservation Center is a private, nonprofit nature center and museum that provides year-round education programs for children and adults. The Center is nestled in the heart of The White Memorial Foundation, a 4,000 nature sanctuary in the northwestern hills of CT. Four guiding principles direct our work: education, conservation, recreation, and research. Please peruse whitememorialcc.org for more information on our property.
White Memorial is looking for a Summer Camp Co-Leader for 3 weeks, spanning from July 10 to 28, 2017 (plus a few training/preparation and clean-up dates to be determined). Working with another educator, this person will design and facilitate the onsite summer camp called Nature Adventurers, geared for children entering grades 1 and 2. The camp runs on weekdays for 3 weeks, from 9:30am-3:30pm. Employees are asked to work from 9am-4pm at $14/hour. Housing is not provided.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
– Plan and facilitate nature-related activities for young children, including onsite hikes, crafts, games, and story times.
– Supervise and provide enriching activities for up to 12 1st and 2nd graders at a time
– Lead children on moderate-level hikes leaving from the classroom on White Memorial property and lasting up to 1 hour
– Deal with any first aid issues that may arise
– Attend training session(s) to learn lesson plans from former co-leader and develop any additional plans necessary for the facilitation of camp
– Manage the upkeep of a small classroom and all the necessary program materials stored within it
– Oversee arrival and pick-up times (9:30 am and 3:30 pm respectively)
– Oversee lunch time (kids will bring their own lunches)
– Communicate with parents about any scheduling conflicts on their part or behavioral issues that may arise
– Always carry attendance sheets, registration forms with emergency info, and medications brought by the children (medications will be self-administered by the child)
– Keep a daily log of activities and time frames
– Clean the classroom at the end of the 3-week period and put all program materials back in proper storage containers
– Completion of at least 2-3 years of college education in the fields of environmental education, natural history interpretation, conservation biology, elementary education, or a related field. Equivalent experience may be considered.
– Prior experience working with young children
– Enjoyment of interacting with children and teaching them about the natural world
– Comfort in speaking publicly and managing groups of up to 12 children
– Proficient knowledge of the area’s natural history
– A valid driver’s license
– Current First Aid certification (or the ability to obtain before June 15, 2017)
How to Apply: Applications are due by Monday, April 3. Please send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Carrie Szwed, Education Director, at email@example.com, or mail to: White Memorial Conservation Center, 80 Whitehall Rd., Litchfield, CT 06759